Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

Today was another one of those days when a few very annoying things happened as a result of random coincidences. I got harassed about returning some books. I did pretty well on a midterm today so I rewarded myself by taking the rest of the day off for no reason. I just realized that today is a pretty awful day to be on call. Tomorrow my 8 AM class might be canceled but I won't know until I get up and the odds of going back to sleep if it is canceled aren't that high. I've been slacking off about finding internships lately but it's already May; how many more places could actually have spots available? I just wish the Glenn people would keep in touch with me better. I guess I could just e-mail them about that. I'll do that right now. Thanks, blog.

Alright, that's done. Claire's professor in the lobby sounds interesting but I can't quite hear everything he's saying, which is unfortunate.

I really need to get on top of things this weekend, if you know what I mean. What I mean is I have a lot of work to do. This research lit review has to get off the ground at some point. It sounds like we're going to have a massive project in information analysis next week, so I'm hoping to clear some Spanish/PPM work out this weekend in anticipation of that. If I can write, oh, five pages of the lit review by the end of the weekend, I'll consider that a success. I'm pretty sure I can manage that. After the big project, whatever it is, I'll have to get started on my presentation for public policy since that's only three weeks away. GRE/MAT studying has completely fallen off the map this quarter in lieu of exercise and focusing on classes. I think I'm staying on top of work in my classes more this quarter than ever before which is pretty cool. Additionally, I haev tried harder at the RA thing here in the spring than I did over the winter, but it's a little sad because I don't feel like they need me (they certainly don't; nobody needs their RA by the time the spring rolls around). Instead, I've just been keeping up with the people who actually care more and letting everyone else do whatever. Even the breakout of swine flu hasn't sent people running to my door in terror--which I'm grateful for, don't get me wrong--but it's just a little surprising. I think it's my fault; I didn't put myself out there enough fall quarter, which has allowed me to dodge the comical drama Claire has had to put up with, but I feel as if I haven't had the full experience that a lot of my colleagues have had. That'll leave me woefully unprepared to mentor the new RAs next year. I'm going to be pretty useless in training aside from my bottomless well of stupid jokes. Oh well.

Finals week looks to be relatively painless. I don't think I'll have anything for the analysis class, but then again, who knows. I have a Spanish final... not too terrified there. I think public policy only has a 5 page report which I hope to have done before my presentation which is during week 9 anyway. And my research certainly doesn't have a final, I just have to write the thing. That'll leave me plenty of time to do RCRs for people moving out. Great fun that'll be.

Looking over the syllabus, it looks like I get to wear my suit for my presentation. That brings me a tiny amount of joy.

I had a thought yesterday in my favorite thinking place, the shower. I might write my thesis on something related to Vermilion politics and public policy... the case in one of my textbooks about a Wal-Mart trying to get into a small town sounded very, very familiar and I'd like to write about how/why things in Vermilion happen. Grandma always complains about the people in the Lagoons getting what they want because they have the money, but Vermilion is getting older and the elderly participate in politics more. Irresistible force meets immovable object? I wonder if there are any professors here familiar with north central Ohio politics, or are from the area.

Excuse me while I laugh at that proposition.

Sorry, I'm almost done.

OK, that's better. I've been writing this long enough and post #2 probably won't show up until August or something. Also this is not very funny at all.

Claire's program is over and so is this post. ~lAtErZ~

No comments:

Post a Comment