Monday, June 22, 2009

DC Day 1

Woke up around 6 to get ready to go to the airport. Managed to do that and the flights into Philadelphia and Reagan were as uneventful as any flights can be. I felt like a 4 year old kid though when the plane in Cleveland sat on the runway, then fired its engines and we took off at warp speed. I spent seriously ten minutes just staring out the window at the tiny neighborhoods below.

I had planned to take the Metro from Reagan to Union Station then walk the rest of the way to our house. I grabbed my bags and walked maybe 40 feet when I decided that a cab was a better idea. Constitution Ave was shut down for a triathlon so the cab driver got a little perturbed and turned around, costing me probably $5 in the process. Thanks, guy. Whatever, $20 was definitely worth not putting up with the hassle of figuring out a new public transportation system and walking a quarter mile or so with all my junk.

Unfortunately, when I rolled into the house, my roommate Eric was out buying groceries and locked my key in the room, so all my stuff just sat around. I took the opportunity to call my mom and dad for the fourth time that day so they would know I made it here alive. I wished my dad a happy father's day and he did the same to me.

I unpacked all my stuff and then Eric and I just watched some golf for an hour. It was too hot (80-ish is too hot right now) to go exploring and we wouldn't have known where to go anyway. 5 o'clock eventually rolled around after some random housemates/neighbors strolled through our place. We decided to grab some much-needed dinner. Four girls from next door went with us. We walked to Union Station, which was much more awesome than I anticipated. I quickly got used to the idea that every building in the Capitol Hill area is just enormous and the station was no exception. It reminded me of Tower City for some reason, except there was actually life inside. We had a rather excellent dinner at a place called Thunder Grill, wandered around the station a little more, then moseyed on home.

Eric and I relaxed a little while longer until I heard a question I didn't really want to hear so soon into our adventures here: "Hey, do you want to go for a run?" Well, not really, but I did anyway. We jogged down Constitution for a ways, past the Capitol and a bunch of other buildings that house random government offices. I saw FBI headquarters and giggled a little. It was weird. We ended up at the White House. I was huffing and puffing by this point, naturally, and was pretty much just walking anyway. On the very long trek home I could hardly do better than to shuffle my feet for a block before I started walking again. It was pretty sad but I'm not too upset that I went through with it.

I got in the shower and it was the best thing ever. Not just because I was impossibly sweaty as usual, but because our shower has about 5 shower heads in it that all spray at once. It's like standing in a Jacuzzi. I want to shower three times a day every day for the next two months. I also believe I will take a bath every Sunday, just because.

By this point it was 10 o'clock, which by normal college standards means it's time to consider doing something, but everyone decided to go to bed. It was very weird. I only slept until about 5 after waking up several times, then I just lied in my bed for two hours. Hopefully tonight goes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment